This cake baking course aims to introduce participants to the ingredients and techniques of cake baking. You will learn how to make a variety of cakes, but more importantly understand how to work with the ingredients and equipment to achieve desired results. The course consists of 4 modules. Each module include baking experiments to illustrate how baking works and what happens if ingredients are replaced or adjusted in recipes.
All recipes in this course are free from chemical emulsifiers, preservatives and artificial flavours. We will be teaching you how to achieve flavourful and soft cakes using good ingredients and proper techniques.
It is fully hands-on and participants will be working individually to make all the recipes taught. Participants who have completed the full course will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Basic Cake Baking Course
Lesson 1: 19 Feb, 9 AM to 1 PM
Lesson 2: 26 Feb, 9 AM to 1 PM
Lesson 3: 5 March, 9 AM to 1 PM
Lesson 4: 12 March, 9 AM to 1 PM
Lesson 1 - Basic Methods: All-in method (Victorian Sponge Cake), and One-stage method (Carrot Cake/Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting)
- Theory explained: Understand how an oven works and how to measure and weight ingredients.
- Hands-on baking of Victorian Sponge Cake and Carrot Cake
- Demo of ABC Chocolate Cupcake.
- Cream Cheese Frosting and basic piping techniques for decorating cupcakes.
Lesson 2 - Butter Cakes: Basic butter cake method (Pound Cake with Variations), and marble cake method (Chocolate Marble Cake)
- Theory explained: Leavening agents, what is the difference between baking powder and baking soda; types of fat and oil used in baking; types od dairy products used in baking.
- Hands-on baking: Pound cakes - create your own flavour variation.
- Hands-on Baking: Marble cake with Coffee Buttercream.
Lesson 3 - Sponge Cakes: Basic sponge cake method (Chantilly Cake), Egg separation method (Roll Cake)
- Theory explained: Sugar and sweeteners in baking; eggs in baking.
- Hands-on baking: Basic sponge cake for Chantilly Cake.
- Hands-on baking: Egg separation method for Roll Cake and creating a decor pattern on the roll cake.
- Decorating a cake with fresh fruit and cream and basic piping techniques.
- Making passion fruit curd filling.
- Filling and rolling a roll cake.
Lesson 4 - Chiffon Cakes: Basic Chiffon Cakes with Flavour Variations
- Theory explained: Different types of flour and the uses in baking; bakers percentage
- Hands-on baking: Basic chiffon cakes with flavour variations, chocolate, pandan, orange-yogurt, bandung
- Hokkaido Cupcakes
- Controlling oven temperature and baking time for perfect chiffon cakes.